5 Reasons Why Homeownership Is a Good Financial Investment
According to a recent report by Trulia, “buying is cheaper than renting in 100 of the largest metro areas by an average of 37.7%.” That may have some thinking about buying a home instead of signing another lease extension. But, does that make sense from a financial perspective?
In the report, Ralph McLaughlin, Trulia’s Chief Economist explains:
“Owning a home is one of the most common ways households build long-term wealth, as it acts like a forced savings account. Instead of paying your landlord, you can pay yourself in the long run through paying down a mortgage on a house.”
The report listed five reasons why owning a home makes financial sense:
– Mortgage payments can be fixed while rents go up.
– Equity in your home can be a financial resource later.
– You can build wealth without paying capital gains.
– A mortgage can act as a forced savings account.
– Overall, homeowners can enjoy greater wealth growth than renters.
Before you sign another lease, perhaps you should sit with a real estate professional in your area to better understand all your options.